+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping and stomach acid coming up...?

Angry Sleeping and stomach acid coming up...?

I'm back again, but this time with a different problem. I had fluid taken out and now I appear to be at a comfortable fill amount. However, while sleeping (If I'm laying down completely) I end up waking up in this coughing fit because I was practically choking on either bile or some kind of stomach juice that made its way up to my throat. It's not very acidic and doesn't burn, but its uncomfortable.

Have any of you experienced this before? I'm not sure if something is wrong...I'm still getting heartburn occasionally, so I'm making an appt. with my doctor. I just fear this is leading to a slippage. Ugh.

Default Re: Sleeping and stomach acid coming up...?

Reflux is usually a sign of being too tight. Are you completely unfilled now or did you just have a liitle bit removed? I would call your doctor, just to be safe. Keep us updated!
    Jessica
    October 26, 2006
    www.maelstromdujour.blogspot.com

I agree with Jess. And you can't be too careful - acid reflux is not good.
    Banded 10/2/2006
    H 274/C 228/ G - a happy and healthier life

JoM, did your doctor fix a hyetial (sp?) hernia when you had your band surgery?

Banded 6/12/08
    Dr. Woodard, Chicago

S 220/C 174/G 160 as of 8/21/09

Well, yes, it could be any of the things mentioned,but it could also be as simple as eating or drinking shortly before beddy-bye. I was fine for a couple of years and then recently started experiencing your symptoms. I finally figured out that it was caused by eating or drinking just before bed. Or drinking when I got up in the middle of the night. See if stopping ingesting anything maybe 2-3 hours before retiring.
    Kathy

Not all who wander are lost

Stitchy's Travel Blog

5/9/06: Banded NWWLS - Everett, WA
    232 H / 220 S / 140 C
    92 lbs lost and BMI: 23 (NORMAL!!!)
    1/2011: band emptied. 2/2012: refilled
    50 lbs lost and BMI: 29

Glad to see your post jomarie, I just chimed in on your old post. How did the dr visit go? I see you had unfill, how much was it?

I haven't had reflux but many here have so I'll leave that to the pros but would love to hear about your upcoming appointment and what happens. I hate that you're going through this but that's part of the fickled band and we must live and learn.

This site is a wealth of informatiom and I learn so much by folks who post just as you have. So thanks fo joining in!

When were you banded and how many fills have you had, that is, if you don't mind me asking?
    Banded 5/19/08 by Dr William Norwood

'life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'

Thanks to all of you for your advice! I haven't made an appt yet to see the doc about my current problem. I've noticed that I'm getting symptoms of an illness. I went out last wknd and it was very cold and windy and I noticed that my throat was getting sore and somewhat raspy, and now I'm waking up coughing and have developed nasty phlegm from it...so this could all be related to that.

To answer your Q, Jeralin, no the doc didn't fix a hiatal hernia when I had surgery, and Jess, I am currently filled. The last visit (which was my 6th fill); she put me at 3cc, and then it was too tight, so I went back and she took some out (it was hard to do 1cc (per my request) because the syringe only having 2cc increments so it was hard for her to be precise, but we tried to get out 1cc. to make a long story short, I'm pretty sure I'm at 2.9cc.

Thank you Kathy for your advice about not eating or drinking anything before bed. I notice I do eat somewhat close to bedtime. I'm hoping this will calm down the reflux symptoms that I occasionally get.

I'll keep you all posted!
    Joanna

I'm just wondering if you have a H Hernia, can you ask your doc and maybe that could be repaired? Just a thought

Banded 6/12/08
    Dr. Woodard, Chicago

S 220/C 174/G 160 as of 8/21/09

I don't know if I have a Hiatal hernia or not. I will definitely bring that up to her though.

Oh, and the past 2 nights have been great, no waking up choking on fluid! I have stopped myself from eating or drinking anything too close to bedtime. It seems to be working.
    Joanna

If it continues or comes back Def. see the Dr. again. This was how all my issues began and it got so bad I had to sleep sitting straight up. I was getting ill blood from all the sores in my throat from acid. no fun at all :(
    Nana~
    Banded on: 08-13-2004-Dr Chang Victoria Texas - 265/225
    Revision to Bypass on: 05-05-2008-Dr Chang Victoria Texas - 225/140

+ Reply to Thread