Thread: Diverticulitis anyone??

Default Diverticulitis anyone??

Hey folks I needs some ideas or suggestions ...

Sunday I had suffered through what I thought was a bout of Irritable Bowels, which I thought was due to eating cherries (It's cherry season in the NW). However, by Monday, I was still in considerable pain. By Tuesday I had a high temp and was unable to eat and barely able to drink. I went to the Dr. on Wed. and his diagnosis was Diverticulitis (sp?). I had just received my third fill on the Wed. before and was doing fairly well as far as restriction was concerned. When I was weighed, I had lost 10# in one week.

My question....does anyone know if diverticulitis can affect the band? I also went through a couple of rough bouts with the dry heaves while I was sick. Will this affect my band?

I'm trying to drink as much as possible, but it's a lot of work. I'm either asleep or trying to eat a little. I've lost my appetite and drinking is really difficult (trying to wait that required hour after eathing before falling asleep again). Movement at this time is a bit difficult as well. Besides medication for pain and infection, the Drs only suggestion was to stay away from high fiber and seedy foods for awhile.

I'd love to hear how others, that have been afflicted with this thing, did with their lapband. All suggestions are welcomed. By the way, I'm lactose and somewhat glutten intollerant. Which makes eating a real challenge in itself.
    Melinda (aka Mel)
    ?Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.?
    W. Churchill
    lost 60lbs, then got sidetracked, due to surgeries, and other problems,
    but still trying to get back on track.... I won't give up!!

Banded 4.4.08 s292 c?(around 240ish)

Default Re: Diverticulitis anyone??

I have diverticulocis (sp?) also. I have not had a flare up with fever, extreme pain, etc. since my banding. But I do know that anytime you throw up you irritate your stoma and an immediate change back to liquids and build up to mushies is required.
    I use a couple of the All-Bran Fiber flavor packets added to water daily to boost the daily "expulsion" with pretty good success. I know that if I seem to get backed up - immediately the diverticulitis will flare up and I'm looking for something to facilitate a quick movement.
    Good luck - and you'll feel MUCH better after the antibiotic kicks in.
    Cindy
    Banded January 21, 2008 Dr. Scott Stowers
    S325/C265/G170ish
    BMI start 45.5 current 37.1

Hand over the snorkeling equipment and no one gets hurt!

I had a tough case during May. Kept adding the fiber supplements to my meals (mostly to my morning shakes). Took a while to clear up, but NEVER interfered with my band. As a matter of fact, I lost many pounds while getting better (unfortunately, it was mostly muscle, but I am working my way back now with no regrets, after all, any pounds gone are good pounds gone). Stay with whatever plan your doctor has you on and you should be fine.
    I Am Banding My Head
    Banded Jul 16, 2007
    Starting Weight 280
    Final goal - 175 - Had hit onederland - WHOOPS, I SLIPPED, But am still fighting.
    Never give up, Never give up, Never, Never, Never give up!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ate2much View Post
    I have diverticulocis (sp?) also. I have not had a flare up with fever, extreme pain, etc. since my banding. But I do know that anytime you throw up you irritate your stoma and an immediate change back to liquids and build up to mushies is required.
    I use a couple of the All-Bran Fiber flavor packets added to water daily to boost the daily "expulsion" with pretty good success.....
    I will have to look for the All-Bran Fiber flavor packets. Where you do you get them?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I had a tough case during May. Kept adding the fiber supplements to my meals (mostly to my morning shakes). Took a while to clear up, but NEVER interfered with my band. As a matter of fact, I lost many pounds while getting better (unfortunately, it was mostly muscle, but I am working my way back now with no regrets, after all, any pounds gone are good pounds gone). Stay with whatever plan your doctor has you on and you should be fine.
    Patrick, I have never felt so sick for 7 days. I think I lost 14 lbs. I haven't had problems with "my constitution" before, so this thing is a big mystery to me. I'm thinking that I may have been getting a mild flareup just after the fills. I had a fill 3 days prior to when this all started so I was on liquids. Throughout the flareup my band seemed extra tight. I had a very difficult time eating and drinking. Today I am finally pain free and no fever.

Thanks for the information. Fiber here I come!!!!
    Melinda (aka Mel)
    W. Churchill

I get my All-Bran Fiber packets at Walmart near the Metamucil, etc. The pink lemonade is my fav. You just add to a glass of water and enjoy!
    Cindy
    Banded January 21, 2008 Dr. Scott Stowers
    S325/C265/G170ish
    BMI start 45.5 current 37.1

Hand over the snorkeling equipment and no one gets hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by ate2much View Post
    I get my All-Bran Fiber packets at Walmart near the Metamucil, etc. The pink lemonade is my fav. You just add to a glass of water and enjoy!
    Thanks Cindy, I'm planning a trip to WalMart soon.
    Melinda (aka Mel)
    W. Churchill