Thread: Liverwurst During Pregnancy?

Default Liverwurst During Pregnancy?

I bought a VERY small chunk of braunschweiger/liverwurst during a recent trip to a local meat market and didn't even stop to think that it might not be safe for me to eat right now.

I did a search online to see if I could find anything, and wasn't able to find a whole lot on it. I found one article from Canada that said liver itself was safe (only about 3oz. per month), but then said to avoid liverwurst.

I would call my OBs office if it weren't a Saturday, but that's obviously not an option for me right now. Thanks to anyone who can give me a decisive answer on this one. If I need to give it to my dad instead of eating it myself I will.

Default Re: Liverwurst During Pregnancy?

Ok. Now I'm even more confused. I can't tell if liverwurst is considered a meat patte or not. (Sorry, I'm not up and up on all of the terminology)

Maybe if I call my friend (who has 2 kids) she'll know.

Just called and spoke with an OB nurse and she says that it's ok. I still feel apprehensive about it though and may try calling the OB that's on call.

I know that it has been a few days but I would not eat it unless you are totally comfortable doing so. If you have any doubt I would just let it go. Sorry this is so late.
    Surgery Nov 10th 2006, Dr. Miguel Zapata, Monterrey, Mexico.
    start 268/surgery 262/current 164.1/goal 170
    5'10 1/2"
    08/25/2007 HIT GOAL!!!! 9 1/2 MONTHS!!!! accomplished with exercise and moderation
    We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.
    Maya Angelou

5. Default Re: Liverwurst During Pregnancy?

I love liverwurst. But I remember something when I was pregnant (7 years ago) about listeria concerns (I hope I'm getting that right) and stuff like liverwurst was a bit of a concern. The risk wasn't huge, of course, but you'd never want to do anything that you might regret later. "If only I hadn't . . ." or "If only I had . . ." is something I never want to say in parenting ("If only I had checked to make sure her seat belt was buckled", etc.).

That being said, I haven't heard ANY news or concerns about listeria recently.
    Orange County, CA, Dr. Brian Quebbemann, banded 2/6/06
    255.4 / 244.8 / 218.8 / 140??? (starting / pre-op / current / goal)

I never did call the OB, but will ask the next time I'm in the office. I took a bite, decided I didn't like the taste of it, and gave the rest to my FIL.

There ya go. I'm not sure I have ever tasted liverwurst. I'm thinking I'd avoid it, pregnant or not! Not worth it, even if you DO like Liverwurst.
    Kathy
    April 8, 2005 Dr. Kuri~Port replaced 7-10-09
    High 250/Surgery 223/Current 241/Goal 160
    Height 5'5"
    Smoke-Free since November 29, 2006
    (low weight before quitting 173.4, high weight after quitting 250)

I am out on anything with the word liver in it

Banded May, 9, 2006 by Dr. Cribbins.
    Abdominoplaty on 02/11/08 by Dr. Young
    PS Thread:
    PS Pics:

In Australia you'd be told to steer very clear of it - any processed meat is off limits, as is soft cheese, pate, anything from a bain marie such as bought sandwiches, anything reheated etc. The list is depressing and not very conducive to an ordinary diet.

I ignored most of it, I think this lysteria hysteria is pretty over the top. How many people do you know who've had lysteriosis? I dont know anybody.