Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need my panniculus removed

Default I need my panniculus removed

Next week I hope to have my doctor apply tp the insurance company to have my panniculus removed. I have researched it and am not sure Medicare will approve it. It is large enough-goes below my knees when I stand. hangs almost to my ankles when I sit. It keeps me in a wheelchair and makes it difficult to take showers.

I have spent the last month crafting a letter for my doctor to submit with his request. I have listed the major problems, emotional and physical, caused by the panniculus. I plan on getting a letter of revommendation from my general physician and my physical therapist also. I would have them already, but my wheelchair is broken and I have been housebound for weeks. My chair won't be fixed for a few more weeks, but I have arranged a ride to the bariatric doctor.

I am facing two major problems about the panniculectomy. One is the requirement that weight needs to be stable for at least 3-6 months. I have been losing weight for the last five months. The other problem is that my weight loss has stalled. I am about 12 pounds over what the doctor wanted me to reach before he requested my panniculus be removed.

Unfortunately, I don't think I will lose much more weight unless the panniculus is removed and I can get up and move around. I don't think I can lose much more weight while sitting in the wheelchair. In addition to the lack of exercise, I am becoming discouraged. It has become harder to move around as I lose weight because the pannus hangs lower. Some things have improved. I can stand about 5 minutes at a stretch. now, instead of three. And I can walk a bit more.

The change is tiny considering I have been eating carefully for two years. Even alternating my eating between higher calories for a few weeks, then lower can only work so long. I long for carbs. a bit of apple, some baked poato, a peach. Some popcorn would be nice. Unfortunately, past experience has shown me I don't lose weight when I eat high carb foods like those.

I can only hope the insurance company approves the removal of the panniculus. It will change my life.
    Mindwing
    http://mlburch.wordpress.com/

Highest weight 436
    Surgery weight 374
    Surgery date 2/17/11

[

Weight lost after surgery

Default Re: I need my panniculus removed

I must say thank you for your story. I am learning so much about WLS and life afterwards from everyones posts. I had NO clue what you were even talking about so, I looked it up. I don't have that same issue, per say. I have a small apron, but no matter what I do, can't get rid of it. And as I am loosing weight, my stomach is now starting to look like a beer gut.

Again, thank you so much for opening up and sharing your story, I know that it will help others!!!!

From what I've seen of most panniculus photos, it will shrink down and become a saggy bag of skin. Actually, once people reach goal weight, a lot of them aren't big enough to be what I call a problem. Of course, they are probably annoying because they never go away, no matter how much one exercises. I've heard that if yo wear a girdle while you lose, the problem doesn't get as bad as if you lose without one.

Not many people have one as huge as mine. I became bedridden for about a year because of CFS and fibromyalgia. I did have a fair sized apron when I went down, but it didn't even cover my pubic area. CFS makes you gain weight, and when I was well enough to get out of bed I had this huge panniculus. Because it has a hard ball of fat at the bottom, it just keeps stretching and sagging further down. The more weight I lose, the worse it seems.

I take imy letter to the doctor today. I have been working on it and rewording it to give just the right information. It was hard to put my emotional reaction in it. I try not to acknowledge the negative feelings, but I had to not only acknowledge them, but share them.

I am so glad I took a month to write this letter for the insurance. I worked so hard on it and felt it was perfect. Then two days ago I realized I didn't put the most important point in it. I haven't been able to clean my personal area after using the rest room for years. I tried everything, and final decided on a bidette. It works perfectly and is such a natural part of my life, I forgot the problem completely. But I still can't do anything about cleanliness when I am forced to use a restroom away from home (ugh!)

So I put that in and last night I printed it out--2 1/2 pages of describing my problems and 1 page with photos- front and side view. I saw pictures of someone who had a pannus my size on the web. I took my pictures and compared them to hers. At first it looked like my pannus was longer, but then I realized it was the same length, I have just lost more weight and it is thinner.

I am trawling the web to learn more about this surgery. I want to be prepared. I am already planning to rent a electric lazy-boy type chair from the local rent-a-center for two weeks. Well, depending on the price. I may have to skip that because we live on Social Security and money doesn't exactly flow freely. I have heard about a binder I will have to wear, and wonder how much that will cost. I know I need two, one to wear and one to wash. I may end up asking the church to help--not something I look forward to.

My ride is hear so I will write again later.
    Mindwing

Highest weight 436
    Surgery weight 374
    Surgery date 2/17/11

[

I am really glad that you were able to get your letter done and worded the way you wanted. And you brought up a VERY good point, hygene! A lot of people don't realize what we go through on a daily basis, just to take care of ourselves. Some with your issues, but other issues as well. In the summer...I die from heat rash. It's not just a fact of keeping clean, I am the worlds worst about making sure I have a shower and am clean, but the fact that our bodies ARE different from the "thin" person. It's either chaffing under the belly, thighs, armpits or even the neck.

My son, who has also been obese all his life and had the band done with me, has suffered for years with neck chaffing. I use to scrub him so much that I would make it worse and raw.

I really do wish you luck with your doctor, and the letter. Will Social Security help you with any of it?

Again, thank you for being brave and putting the "bad" out there as well as the good.

The doctor took my letter but didn't say he would apply to the insurance yet. I am about 7 pounds above where he said I needed to be, so I guess he is waiting. Sigh!

I am sorry to hear about your son's problem. I chafed a lot before I lost weight, but I never chafed on the neck, just under the arms and in the bra area.

Medicare is the insurance that will have to approve the surgery.

I won't hear anymore for a month when I get my next appointment. Hopefully, I will lose another 9 lbs, which will put me at the weight the doctor said I needed to be for him to request the surgery.

Here's hoping.
    Mindwing

Highest weight 436
    Surgery weight 374
    Surgery date 2/17/11

[

6. Default Re: I need my panniculus removed

To have done as well as you have done, with all the problems and issues you have faced, is mindboggling and brings a tear to my eye. I am hoping so hard that you get the approval from Medicare. Please continue to share this very important part of your journey.
    Ananda

Starting Weight 242 as of October, 2010; Weight when Banded on 4/27/11: 220
    5/04/11: 213; 6/08/11: 208; 6/22/11: 202; 7/14/11: 198; 8/3/11: 192; 9/4/11: 187
    9/28/11: 181; 12/1/11: 171; 1/4/12: 163; 2/13/12: 157; 3/12/12: 153; 6/1/12: 148
    August, 2012: Holding steady; December, 2012: holding, up and down 2 pounds

Thanks Ananda. I figure as long as I don't give up, I am not a failure. Though it was pretty hard losing only 20 lbs my first year.

Right now the doctor is very pleased with me because I am losing so well without being able to exercise. But I can feel in my body that this is going to slow down big time. I have allowed myself to eat salty food and have gained a few pounds as a result. I ate two hot dogs, some cheese and a handful of pork rinds in the last two weeks. It is all allowed on my diet because I am eating low carb. But I have gained 7 lbs.

I have some water pills given to me because I put on water weight so easily. I don't like to take them regularly because most of the time I don't hold so much water. But the week before my dr. appointment I go totally salt free and take the pills two days before my appointment to get all the water out. I can drop 6-8 pounds those two days. The weight stays off until I eat something with salt in it.

Today I really blew it. I had some leftover mashed potatoes for my husband. I mixed an egg in and fried tablespoons in coconut oil. They tasted incredible and I ate two. That is a lot of carbs, so I will have to be careful not to do that again.

Thursday night I went to Walmart for the sale. My wheelchair is broken, but I had been standing and walking more. I had no idea how bad it would be. I was expected to stand in line for almost 1/2 hour. Actually, I couldn't do it. I saw a friend in line and set my basket by her and went to pharmacy and sat down. After I got out of that line I went through the store. I found several things I was looking for, but lost my worker who had brought me. We were finally reunited and she looked for what I hadn't been able to find. It was midnight before I got out of that store. My legs hurt so bad.

But I am pleased I was able to do it. I didn't do much at home the next two days--haha! Hopefully I'll walk more soon because my pannus is gone.
    Mindwing

Highest weight 436
    Surgery weight 374
    Surgery date 2/17/11

[

Good for you and you should be pleased with yourself. I'm finding that every little bit helps. I always try and stay away from the salt, but right before my period, I CRAVE the stuff. If I don't watch myself, I can eat a whole bag of chips without even thinking.

I had a thought.....do you have a swimming pool close to where you live? My son had problems walking for any length of time and the doctor suggested that maybe walking in the pool would help.

Keep up your hope and faith, your doing great!!!!

Nope, no pools.

Spent most of the last month with a broken wheelchair--it literally wouldn't move an inch. Had to get up and walk around more, which I thought would help me lose weight--haha! I lost practically nothing, A two pound loss. But at least I didn't gain. I really feel like my body is entering a plateau. It is about time, I just wish I'd been able to lose another five pounds or so before it hit.

The extra walking caused the muscles in the top and side of my right thigh to burn. It was bad. Strange symptom, huh?

But my wheelchair is fixed and my leg no longer hurts. I go to the doctor tomorrow, and we shall see what we shall see. I don't want a fill or a reduction in my fill. I am right about where I need to be. I can take my pills, which is a must for CFS/Fibro.

I can eat too much, but I am learning that I just need to plan my meals ahead. I eat a measured amount of food and stop. If I wait awhile. 15 minutes to 1/2 hour, I'm not hungry for hours.
    Mindwing

Highest weight 436
    Surgery weight 374
    Surgery date 2/17/11

[

I don't have words to express how moved I am by your honesty, but please know that I wish you nothing but the best, and that this next month will go by quickly. Maybe you will even hear something sooner?

I'm glad your wheelchair has been fixed.

Debbie
    Banded February 10, 2009
    Dr. Philippe Quilici
    Providence St. Joseph Medical Center
    Burbank, California
    6.5CC's in a 10CC band