b2g - Far more than a message board
When Dawg and I created b2g, it was obvious that it was something very special to many of us, and it was obvious that it was going to be even more special as time progressed. With the help of FunnyDuddies and Sara, we launched b2g in a matter of days after its conception. At that time, I shared our vision for b2g with a few of you and now I'd like to take a few moments to share that vision and its progress with everyone.
As Dawg and I were preparing the b2g message board, we began talking about b2g and how much we wanted to find a way to use it as a tool to further help people – beyond the emotional and educational support the message board would provide. We decided to become a non-profit organization that could provide a broader scope of Gastric Adjustable LapBand support and education.
There are so many wonderful people who are part of the b2g family. We have long time bandsters who bring a wealth of information to b2g. We have new bandsters who bring a lot of positive energy and excitement to b2g. We have members who are going through the qualification phases or are awaiting their surgery date and who are becoming much better prepared for their journey. We have folks who are here to learn more about the band while trying to make a decision about weight loss surgery (WLS).
And then there are those who want and NEED to be banded but don't have insurance coverage or the financial means to get the surgery. I see these people here on a regular basis offering support and friendship to those who are fortunate enough to be banded. I see them working so hard to lose weight on their own, riding on the positive energy of the b2g members. Loving, caring folks who are struggling with co-morbidities (medical issues brought on by obesity) such as diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, etc. who have no hope of getting banded.
Our vision for b2g developed out of our desire to meet the needs of all these groups of people and with the help of LindaV and her husband David, who are very experienced with non-profit organizations, we have begun to move forward in making our vision a reality.
Our first official meeting was held last Friday evening (Oct 6, 2006) during which we began to define the vision into a clear plan. Here is a general idea of what we are working on now.
It has always been our opinion that success with the lapband requires several areas of focus. Those areas include the lapband; reliable follow-up care; emotional support and / or counseling; nutritional education and guidance; and physical fitness education and guidance. Therefore, it is our plan to include all of these areas in our scholarships with the help of donations by members as well as the professional providers.
- b2g will incorporate as a non-profit organization and will provide quarterly and annual reports to its donors
- b2g's mission will be to provide Gastric Adjustable LapBand
- support and education
- b2g will run several projects that are all designed to support and achieve the mission
- b2g's main project will be to provide scholarships to those who NEED the lapband but cannot meet the financial requirements for the surgery
- b2g’s other projects will include public relations; fundraising for the operation of the organization and for scholarships through donations and merchandising; educational support via the message board, publications, and Live Chat sessions with professionals; and possibly phone conference “mini seminars”
- b2g will have one paid position which will be the Executive Director (this may change as the organization grows)
- b2g will have a board of directors and advisors who oversee the various projects
- b2g will offer various options for support donations, such as donations which are designated for the costs of operating the organization; donations which are designated for scholarships; and general donations which will disbursed to projects under the direction of the Board of Directors (5% of the donations for scholarships will be applied to the cost of operating of the organization)
- b2g’s Board of Directors will select candidates for scholarships based on financial ability and medical necessity (more details on that once we have the legal details worked out)
- b2g will have an annual audit performed by an independent auditor to ensure no mishandling of funds
We also believe in preserving the dignity of the recipients of the scholarships, therefore, we will (as often as possible) work with the medical providers for a fair and reasonable price for their services. We do not want any of our scholarship recipients to feel they are not deserving of respect or the highest level of care simply because they are receiving services for free. However, there may be some cases when free services offered by a professional is more than acceptable by the b2g Board of Directors and the recipient of the scholarship.
So, that is where we are at this point in time. Remember that we are still in the planning stages and not yet ready to accept any financial donations. But it’s never too early to start considering b2g as part of your monthly budget. At the time of this posting, we have around 200 members. If each member donated $10 a week to the scholarship fund, b2g could sponsor 4 people a year! Think of the possibilities. Think of the lives we could change. Think of the lives we could save!
Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know what we have been doing behind the scenes so you didn’t think we had lost our vision. I’ve really missed posting and being involved on a daily basis. Hopefully I’ll be able to be around more often.
Oh, and just for the record – I will be donating 20% of all my photography sales in 2007 to the b2g scholarships. Who needs family portraits done? How about Senior portraits or wedding portraits? *grins*
I think we’ll be having a few fund raising auctions this year as well. Someone might be the lucky owner of a framed, limited edition, autographed P’Nut photo from my landscape and wildlife collection. OOoooooOOOO!! *big smile*
Have a super duper day y’all!
Love ya bunches! *hugs*
Last edited by PhotoNut; 04-22-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Dr. Bryan Anderson
Banded & Branded: Jan. 09, 2006
HEIGHT: 5' 5" WEIGHT: 307/222/150